6.01.2010

First on the Scene


I am a lineman at the Hanover County Airport. I fuel planes, moves planes, wax planes, and pretty much everything but fly planes. This afternoon I was standing on the ramp with my supervisor and looked as I watched a coworker's RV 9 glide by. (I said glide because he was not technically flying...his prop was not spinning...the engine was off.) I said to my supervisor, "Keith, what is Ray doing?" Keith said, "He's not practicing...get the truck!" In the next 30-60 seconds I was a half mile down the runway sprinting as fast as I could through a field approaching the upside down plane. My mind was racing with the possibility that Ray hadn't made it. Fortunately, the plane had not yet engulfed in flames (and never did) and Ray answered our calling and told us he was OK. Keith and I shouldered the tail and lifted it enough for Ray to squeeze out of the shattered canopy of the plane. I know Ray simply as an acquaintance, nothing of his personal life, but what a relief to see him walk away with minor cuts from the wreckage. Literally seconds after he was out of the plane the drama ensued with local law enforcement, media, and rubber-neckers. People were attracted to this situation like flies on crap and it was kinda of annoying. I know that if it wasn't me it would have been someone else, but I am glad that I was able to be one of the first there to help Ray. I guess it's all in a day's work at a small local airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment