9.07.2010

Some idols are carved out of wood or gold...mine comes in the form of coaches polls, computer ratings, hard hits, and bragging rights.

My wife sent a Twitpic last night during the VA Tech and Boise State game that said, "and so it begins." Being as honest and blunt as possible, I am obsessed with college football...the Longhorns, the competition, and especially the weekly drama of the BCS polls. For 13+ weeks during the Fall a huge chunk of my conversation is spent on talking smack with friends who pull for rivalry teams. My time is spent checking ESPN.com and watching recaps, preview videos, and stats. My whole person gets hugely invested in the whole ordeal. I remember two seasons ago when Texas was stuntin' their way straight into the BCS Championship bowl game, rolling past big rival Oklahoma Sooners in a decisive 45-35 victory....and then this happened... take a look at this video (brings back a hoard of sick of emotions!).



I had the opportunity to preach Jesus the next morning at our church, and I could have been awake in anticipation of preaching, you know, praying for the Spirit to move. But instead, I was laying in bed at 1am fuming...over a ball game.

In all reality college football is an idol of mine. I invest time, money, energy, and emotions on all that surrounds and is involved in the game. My favorite preacher has said (and in some fashion says every time he preachers) that the simplest and most practical way to define how a Christian should live is to find those things in life that stir our affections for Jesus and pursue those hard with all abandon...and to identify those things that steal our affections from Jesus and name them for what they are...IDOLS...and to flee them...and kill them. He confesses that he stays away from sports because he knows he can get way too invested in whether or not a 20 year old boy catches a ball.

Sting.

Since I'm on this honest streak, I think my emotions won't be as strong this season in regards to the Longhorns record only because I'm expecting this to be a rebuilding season with Garret Gilbert being the new quarterback. I keep telling people I'd be happy with a 10-2 or 9-3 season. In reality I've yet to repent of this idol. It may not sound like a big deal, but I see the worship I bid, breathe, and bleed during college football season...I can laugh at it as silly or see it as evil.

Jesus says if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out...those are some hard words...that if taken in light of the Cross, produce soft people. James, the half bro of Jesus, tells us that every good and perfect gift is from above...all created things are designed to be used and enjoyed to divert our attention to the Giver...I could cut all emotional ties I have with college football, or I could worship Jesus for it. I don't think I'm abusing this theology just so I can enjoy college football guilt free. This is a principle applicable to all of our hobbies (that are likely our idols).

It is a thin red line if you are simply trying to not worship an idol...you will return with sacrifices before you can blink an eye. The trick or rather, the Truth, is to worship Jesus...to be ever thankful and moment to moment aware that "for our sake He became sin, who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." Jesus entered skin, lost his skin, and rose back to life in a new skin...and I can watch a pigskin fly through the air and be even more enamored knowing that he saved my skin...He loves me deeply.


No comments:

Post a Comment